The Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group has taken responsibility for Monday night’s attack at the Manchester Arena that killed 22 people, including children, and wounded 59 others. “One of the soldiers of the Caliphate was able to place an explosive device within a gathering of the Crusaders in the city of Manchester,” the group said in a statement Tuesday.
Daesh did not publish a name or picture of the attacker, which they have previously done for some major attacks they claimed responsibility for. A suicide bomber with an “improvised” explosion device targeted a concert arena in Manchester as thousands of young people streamed from the venue.
British Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the attack as “among the worst terrorism” in the United Kingdom. Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May speaks outside 10 Downing Street in London, May 23, 2017.
“All acts of terrorism are cowardly attacks on innocent people, but this attack stands out for its appalling, sickening cowardice,” May said in a statement outside Downing Street on Tuesday. “We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room of young people as an opportunity for carnage.”
She also described the terrorist incident as “the worst ever to hit the north of England.” The prime minister said the security services believe they know the identity of the assailant but are not yet able to confirm it.