Sudan’s ruling military council has admitted for the first time admitted it had ordered the June 3 dispersal of a Khartoum protest sit-in that left dozens of people dead and hundreds more injured.
“The military council decided to disperse the sit-in and a plan was made… but we regret that some mistakes happened,” spokesman Shamseddine Kabbashi told reporters.
He said the military would not allow any further protest camps to be set up near armed forces sites, after the sit-in outside army headquarters in central Khartoum was dispersed.
Kabbashi said the findings of an investigation into the incident would be made available on Saturday.
Thousands of protesters had held a round-the-clock sit-in outside the army complex since April 6, initially seeking the army’s help to oust longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir.
The army toppled Bashir on April 11 but since then the ruling generals have resisted calls to hand over power to a civil administration.
Demonstrators continued with the sit-in even as they held negotiations with the generals over the form of a new governing body.
The talks collapsed in May over the question of whether the body should have a civilian or military head.