The number of cumulative Monkeypox cases in Cameroon has risen to 16 since the detection of the first two cases in the North-West region on April 30.
In its latest analysis of the disease outbreak, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said nine new cases – including one confirmed – had been reported by May 30.
Although no deaths have been reported, the diseases has been confirmed in the North-West, South-West Region, Central, Eastern and Far-North Regions.
The cases are being reported from remote rural areas where occupational activities such as farming and hunting are increasing animal-human interaction.
“The ages of the affected people range from one month to 58 years, with a median age of 13 years, and the gender distribution is proportionate. In addition to the two initial health districts, three others from three different regions have been affected.
“The outbreak of monkeypox was confirmed by the Centre Pasteur du Cameroun (CPC) on 14 May 2018 when one of two specimens obtained from the initial cases tested positive for orthopoxvirus/monkeypox virus by real-time polymerase chain reaction,” the WHO said.
Samples from 11 other suspected cases have been collected and tested at the CPC. With the help of the WHO, the Cameroon government has activated its Incident Management System. This includes active surveillance and case investigations across the country.
Training of healthcare workers on using personal protective equipment and proper hand hygiene has been conducted. This is part of a broader public awareness campaign that includes sharing of information on the isolation and management of suspected new cases.