With a string of terrorist attacks in France over the past months, Paris has expelled two Moroccans after evidence was found that they could pose serious security threats by “their continuous stay on French soil.”
“Given the serious threat posed by their continuous stay on French soil, the interior ministry has decided to expel them immediately,” a statement by the French Interior Ministry said without giving any further details about the individuals.
Officials would not elaborate on the evidence which they said could prove radical inclinations in the two Moroccan nationals. France has been in a state of emergency since January last year after a series of high-profile terror attacks began to rattle the country. Officials say over 235 people have been killed with the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group claiming responsibility for the bulk of them.
Officials say most of those involved in suspected terror activities in France are from countries such as Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia.
A timeline of three major terrorist attacks in France
July 14, 2016 – More than 80 people were killed and over 200 others were injured when a truck ran through a crowd of people celebrating the French National Day, commonly known as the Bastille Day, in the southern French city of Nice.
November 13, 2015 – A series of coordinated terrorist attacks, claimed by Daesh, brought shock and horror to the French capital. Some 130 people were killed and over 350 others were injured.
January 7, 2015 – Gunmen attacked the office of French magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris. A dozen people were killed. The magazine, with a background of publishing blasphemous cartoons of Prophet Mohammad, once again published a similar drawing a week later.