The Biya Francophone regime has announced in a statement that the General Certificate of Education Examination GCE will go ahead as planned despite calls from Anglophone educational experts to call off the 2017 session. The Francophone Minister of Secondary Education, Ernest Massena Ngalle Bibehe said in a CPDM press release that even candidates who did not register for the examinations will be allowed to take part. Reacting to the communiqué from the regime in Yaounde, the chairman of the Cameroon Concord News Group, the Right Honorable Soter Tarh Agbaw-Ebai described the government’s atrocious activity as “an academic genocide.”
Revered Father Francis Che, rector of St Paul’s College in Bamenda reportedly told the Minister of Secondary Education that the children have not been to school for over 7 months now and therefore must not participate in any examination. The man of God also hinted that exam centers like St Paul College were not ready to welcome candidates.
Worried about the risk of failure to participate in the 2017 GCE exam session, the Francophone government, through the Minister of Secondary Education, published a statement on Saturday, May 13, 2017, in which it invited candidates who have not been able to register within the numerous deadlines, to go to the sub-center of their choice “Subject to subsequent regulations,” said Minister Jean Ernest Massena Ngallé Bibehe.
During a tour earlier this week of Southern Cameroons where classes have not been going on for seven months because of a severe teachers’ strike, the so-called Minister of Secondary Education was informed that the number of registered candidates recorded an unprecedented decline. The big man from Yaoundé however insisted that the 2017 session will begin on Monday the 15th of May. Correspondingly, the Cameroon Anglophone Civil Society Consortium has suspended every academic activity in Southern Cameroons territory.
By Chi Prudence Asong
Cameroon Intelligence Report