Two bomb attacks have killed three Muslim worshipers at a mosque in the town of Bama in the northeast Nigerian state of Borno.
Media reports stated that the suspected militants, a man and a woman, detonated their explosives inside the mosque during morning prayers on Saturday in Borno state.
The pair “blew themselves up in a mosque while people were praying, killing three people,” said Baba Shehu Gulumba, Bama local government chairman.
A senior military officer in Bama confirmed the death toll, adding that nine people were also injured in the bombings.
“Some of the injured are in a critical condition and may hardly make it. They have been transferred to Maiduguri for better medical care,” said the military officer, who asked to remain anonymous.
Boko Haram militants have wreaked terror in the region with attacks on civilian and military targets in response to army offensives that have put pressure on the Takfiri group.
Earlier this month at least 18 people were killed and over 80 others wounded after suspected Boko Haram militants staged several attacks in the northeast.
Boko Haram militants had gained control of Bama, a major trading hub on the road to Cameroon and home to 270,000 people,in September 2014, forcing its residents to flee to Maiduguri, the state capital.
When it was retaken by the Nigerian military in March 2015, most of the town had been demolished by the militants.
Some of the residents were just starting to return after 11,000 homes were rebuilt.
On April 5, Borno State’s information commissioner, Mohammed Bulama, said 1,200 people had returned to the town in a phased resettlement of the 100,000 displaced residents living in camps in Maiduguri.